DEVELOPER: Frictional Games
US PUBLISHER: Got Game Ent.
UK PUBLISHER: Lexicon Entertainment
NORDIC PUBLISHER: Lexicon Entertainment
ONLINE PLAY: TBA
Penumbra: Overture offers intuitive and challenging gameplay using immersive mouse movement interaction. This allows the
player to open, pull, push and in other ways manipulate the game objects in a motion similar to doing it in real life. This
type of interaction has never before been used in a game and makes the puzzles a lot more fun and the game more immersive.
You are on your own, except for some dangerous creatures and will survive and succeed on your guile. There will not be any
direct character conversations and you learn about what is going on through radio transmissions, notes, and books and by
examining the environment.
Penumbra: Overture is not about mindless violence, although there will be occasions when you will have to face a number of
truly horrifying and unpleasant creatures and combat is implemented in such a way that an enemy is very hard to kill. Trying
to use a weapon is really a last resort. At best the player will manage to knock the enemy out for a short time period
allowing her/him to escape and hide. Various objects in the environment will also be useful for stopping enemies. Rocks can
be thrown and heavy boxes can be pushed over enemies. There are also inventive actions like being able to break a beam and
thereby letting large rocks fall onto an enemy. These are just a few measures you may have to undertake to get out of a
* Immersive and stimulating story.
* Cutting edge 3D graphic technologies with an advanced physics system
* Detailed and highly interactive environments – caves, abandoned mines, snowy outsides, a fishing boat, and much more.
* Advanced AI that lets the enemies use the environment and work together.
* Environmental audio system to heighten the senses
* Focusing on players using their wits rather than mindless violence.
* Varied puzzles, some based on physics, with many different ways and tactics to solve each.
* Tutorial level to learn and understand game mechanics with new mouse movement manipulation for a fuller experience.